Monday, August 23, 2010

An Introducion and Maggie Stiefvater

I've never been any good at journaling. I always get bored after a couple of weeks at most, probably because whenever I open the cover of a new journal, I feel compelled to write something like "Resolutions" or "Expenses." No wonder I never make it past page four.


Nevertheless, after a long period of resistance, I am at last sticking a toe (although I do have very big big toes) into the world of blogging. I wish I could say this stemmed from some noble resolution to develop a healthy habit of self-introspection or a desire  to connect with my fellow human beings, but really, it's because Maggie Stiefvater is SO COOL.


Maggie is a YA urban fantasy author, whose most recent novel, Linger, debuted as #1 on the NYT bestseller list. But this is not why she is SO COOL (although it doesn't hurt). Maggie (I'm pretty sure she won't mind me calling her Maggie) has a blog, the first blog I've ever followed with any kind of sustained interest, and I find it perfectly awesome. It's upbeat, it's varied, it's lively, and I always come away feeling more cheerful about things in general. She also gives great writing advice, which I, as an aspiring novelist, really appreciate. In short, she showed me that a blog doesn't have to be a slog (there's a slogan for you), and thus was born my ambition to be Just Like Maggie. (Well, not really. I don't want her kids, or her husband, or her dogs, and I'm happy living in Texas instead of Virginia, and I don't really want to write about werewolves, either, although I did enjoy her book. But you know what I mean.)


This blog exists in two places: Blogger.com and livejournal. It is exactly identical in both places, but since the cool people I know in real life are on blogger, and the cool people I wish I knew (Maggie, and the fabulous Megan Whalen Turner Sounis community for starters) are on livejournal, I decided to split the Gordian knot and do both. You can friend me on either site without missing anything.


Thus, my experiment in blogging begins. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment